Mosques in Town
St. Georgs Church was turned into a mosque immediately after the conquest, which was recorded by Archbishop Marin Bivi in 1610. The local people called it Sultan Ahmed's Mosque, because it was reconstructed during his rule (1703 - 1711). There was an inscription engraved in the monument in 1881, which confirms this.
The Ottomans called the St George Mosque the Londza Mosque as well.
The sanctuary at Londza was destroyed in a great ammunition explosion. "During the night between January 8th and 9th 1881 there was a horrible thunder which had never been heard before. Around two o'clock in the morning there was a terrible bang, lightning had struck the minaret and the church was destroyed completely." Apart from the severe damage, perhaps even greater than after the siege of the town in 1877, around thirty people died.
In addition the other great church, St. Nicholas's, was turned into a mosque called Orta, or the middle mosque.
In 1908, there are records that St. Nicholas's Church was well preserved, but many strikes from the Montenegrin cannons were visible. It was said that "inside, military belongings and old weapons, rifles with sabres and some Venetian helmets are kept." Two years later, in 1910, it was also destroyed in an ammunition explosion.
At the place where there used to be a medieval inn, there was the meszid, a mosque without a minaret. The mihrab and mimber (semi-circular niche and polpit) and the space around it were used to bury wealthy citizens. That is why there are several constructed tombs there.
The Omerbasic Mosque
The Omerbasic Mosue is located outside the town, in front of the entrance. It was built by Omer-pasha and his three sons in 1662. Apart from the mosque, a part of this complex is also Dervish Hasan's domed burial site. Next to it is a gaselhana (a room for bathing the deceased) and a mosque house.
This mosque can be found opposite the large northern wall between the aqueduct and the Omerbasic Mosque. There is a cemetery around the mosque and the oldest grave is the one indicating that the minaret was reconstructed by Haseci AliAga in 1234 by the Islamic calendar, or in 1819. It was damaged in a fire in 1906, amd again when St. Nicholas's (Orta Mosque) exploded in 1912.
The Gunpowder Magazine
The Ottoman gunpowder magazine was constructed at the beginning of the 18th century, and its rather thick walls of 1.5 meters were made of roughly chiselled stone. The room was covered with a dome. There are also two inscriptions in the facades. The first one says that Hussein-pasha asked Ahmed-han for the permission to erect the gunpowder magazine. When the sultan gave his approval, Sejid Mehmed-aga ordered the construction to begin. The janissay aga, Hasan-aga also helped. He ordered construction to start. The inscription is dated somewhere between May 6th and June 24th of the Islamic year 1166, or 1704.
After two years, two repairs to the gunpowder magazine were performed. This can be seen from the second inscription dated somewhere between August 30th and September 15th, 1707.
Towards the northern side of the town's tower, an aqueduct was constructed during the Ottoman times, and it transported water from the village of Turcini, 3 km away, to Bar.
It was formed out of a chanel, carried ba the construction supported by seventeen arches of differnet sizes. These arches were placed on pillars. In the channel in the top, there used to be a system of connected ceramic pipes, 30 cm long and 12 cm wide.
The Ottomans constructed an efficient water supply system in the town turing the 17th century. Water was transported from through ceramic pipes, via a channel led by slopes and the aqueduct, and it filled up the cistern. From there it was distributed through the entire town.
In front of the main gate (in front of the Omerbasic Mosque) there is a drinking-fountain which was, according to the inscription, built in 1642/63 (in 1052 by the Islamic calendar).
The second drinking fountain, which has left no traces, was built over the southern part of the semi-circular staircase of St Nichols's church, or the Orta Mosque. This fountain, according to the inscription from 1881, was built by salahshor Zeynel-Abadin in 1756 (1169 by the Islamic calendar).
Hammam - Bath
The hammam was constructed according ro the well-known ancient system, consisting of an apoditerium (place for the preparation before the bath), hypocaust (sauna and bathing area) and the prefurnium (place for the heating of water). The space of the hypocaust was covered with a dome. In the western room there used to be a bathroom, while the first room was some sort of a changing-room with niches beneath the sitting area. The heating space has a high chimney and a vaulted water tank. Fire used to burn beneath this construction.
The clock tower was the endowment of Jahiha-aga Ibrahim Osmanov, who reconstructed the tower in 1753. This is in fact a tower from the medieval or Venetian period, which was reconstructed to become its important oriental monument, which is the most distinctive feature of the OldTown Bar.
Houses in the Town
Soon after the conquest of 1571, town startet to take on oriental characteristics. Houses were being built in the spirit of the eastern view of space and philosophy of life, which in a way resulted in Bar partially Bar's losing its medieval-Venetian appearance on the outside. However, even though it was born on the foundations of older buildings, the Turkish house received a new dimension both in the interior and in the exterior. Roofs became more shallow, porches were being built on the oriels. The light wooden structure was widely used and the yard with a garden protected by a fence was one of its main characteristics. Out of the construction forms of made of stone,the arch appears often, and is characterized by harmonious proportions and precise construction.